Choc Chip & Orange Cake (and Recipe Books)

Karyn & Kyran Brennan. With Birthday Cake.

This week comes another post from Grandma Campbell's cookbook - one I have been excited to try - Chocolate & Orange Cake! Yuuuum! I am not very good at cakes though, - they are a bit scary to me. This one tastes SO delicious, but it didn't rise very much - which always seems to be my problem.. Does anyone know why? I have been having this problem since I was a kid. I will never forget the time my sister, Jade & I were baking a cake that we had wanted to take around to the neighbours to sell. We were always concocting plans of making stuff to sell. I would boss my sister around and set everything up, and then I would make her do the selling (yes, I was bossy, but also shy!). I would be the sidekick. It worked better this way - she was much cuter than me!

Anyway, this cake we were making took forever. I mean, I think we cooked it for well over an hour, and it didn't do a thing. It turned out this big lump of .. a lump! But, we still iced it and set it up to look all nice and somehow we actually convinced Mrs Ackerman down the street, to buy the whole thing! haha!

Nearly 30 years later, I am still making things and convincing people to buy them. I can do it myself now! But, my sister is always an amazing help - has she already told you about the recipe ledgers & recipe postcards I am making yet? (haha!)..

I thought it would be a great idea to make some blank recipe books so you can all start your own ledgers! What do you think? Should we start a cooking project together? I think yes! You can have a look and order yours now - they will be ready to be shipped in May. And the month after that my next album will be done, which you can also pre-order! It is an exciting year!

Let me know what you think of the recipe books, you can see them here.... !


Choc Chip & Orange Cake

125g margarine/butter
2 tsp grated orange rind
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 Tbs orange juice
1/2 cup yoghurt
1/4 cup milk

~ beat well in mixmaster

add 100g grated chocolate (I used dark chocolate chunks, because I wanted the chocolate to be uneven, and in chunks!)

~ cook 45-50 minutes at 180 degrees (350f)




~ cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out
~ ice with chocolate icing


No comments:

Post a Comment