Mrs Hamilton's Ginger Bread

My Grandma Phyllis, and her little brother Mostyn circa 1920


I know, I know, - Thanksgiving is no excuse for not posting for the past two weeks! Nor is getting busier at work. I'm sorry - I've missed you all!! I am already making the next post, just so I don't fall behind, - let's get this story back on the road!

Yes, Thanksgiving! I am sorry that you missed out if you are in Australia, or somewhere else besides the States (I say Australia off the bat, because I am from there, and hope that one day we co-opt some sort of Thanksgiving-esque holiday where the weather is cold and everyone sits inside and eats themselves silly). There is not much else to Thanksgiving, in essence, and I love it. No gift-giving (which ok, I do like gifts, but it's nice to not have that pressure), no religious overtones (a holiday for everyone!) and a BIG roast dinner!! AWESOME! I love it. It is my most favourite holiday, - imagine, all you have to do is cook, and eat. And I give a LOT of thanks that I can do that. 

We went upstate NY to our friends place, which was so lovely.  I love heading up there on the train, with my husband and my little green overnight bag that I scored at a garage sale to meet up with our much-loved friend (who loves to bake, and who has helped me with BPL a little along the way!). Going for Thanksgiving was an extra special treat. 

I don't even really like turkey. Can you believe it? Seriously, I thought about it this Thanksgiving. And realised that turkey is my least favourite meat!! Haha! But, I do like eating a little of it each November and just love everything else that goes with it, food and other. And then watching movies and feeling sleepy afterward. And then, I don't have turkey again for a year! Roast Lamb is my most favourite. Then Pork. Then Beef. Chicken. Turducken (actually, that should be near top!)... So, anyway, it is good when I don't cook a turkey, because I end up throwing a lot of it out. Even after the pot pies, soups and the etc. etc. etc. My favourite food at Thanksgiving is my husband's Pecan Pie. I'm sorry, but it is the best. No one can beat it! haha! He made me another one once we got home, so we could enjoy it again. 

So, what do you think I have been eating - Pecan Pie or Ginger Bread? I'll give you one guess.


(Answer: both) .... heehee!

Mrs Hamilton's Ginger Bread

3 cups flour
1 small cup sugar
1 large cup treacle (I substituted 1/2 cup light corn syrup and 1/2 cup honey)
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 Tbs butter
2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs ground ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon

~ Beat eggs
~ Heat milk and add soda
~ Mix all dry ingredients
~ Mix treacle and melted butter in hot milk
~ Mix all ingredients

~ If too moist add more flour

~ Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour .....(I did 350f for 45 mins)

This cake is really nice. I added cream cheese icing on top, which was a nice mix of flavours. It is a dense cake, actually more like a ginger bread biscuit, but in a cake!! I think next time I will add carrots and walnuts, - I am starting to get a little antsy with the basic recipes!!

Here's the Ginger Bread and the Pecan Pie we've been munching on this week

No comments:

Post a Comment