Melon Pickles for Mum

My Mum, Karyn, with her mad-hatters hat (is that right, Mum?)
- She loves to tell you about the Beatles and her crush on Paul whenever she looks at this photo!


 This post is for my Mum. We just got off the phone from each other - we talked for nearly two hours, and I promised her that I would post the infamous-in-our-family Melon Pickle recipe, and she promised me she would make it. And post the pictures of it! I will definitely try it, - I know that I nearly didn't get the ledger just because of this Melon Pickles recipe. I had to swear that I wouldn't lose that one in particular (the ledger is fairly falling apart!). I couldn't find it a while back and I think Mum nearly had heart failure. So, here you go Mum - the Melon Pickles recipe, safe & sound, transcribed as is from the ledger.... we all can't wait to hear from you! Tell us how to make it properly! I love you!

I'll be back soon to tell you all about the lamington cake that I ..... altered... hello yum!

Melon Pickles
Cut 3 lb of melon, let stand all night covered with 2 bottles of vinegar
Add 2 lbs of onions sliced
2 cups of sugar
1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
3 dessert spoons salt
(2 dessert spoons of allspice & 2 of cloves) tied in a muslin bag
Boil 2 hours
then thicken with 1 TBS mustard & 1 of flour & 1 of tumeric
Then boil a little longer

Bottle when cold

Karyn's Update - April 12th 2010 



"Thanks for the Melon Pickle recipe. I made them today & the awesome smell permeated through the whole house & reminded me so much of when Mum used to cook them. I had to substitute aubergines for melons, so have renamed it "Bessie Pearl's Pickles", but apart from that I followed the recipe faithfully & they taste exactly as I remember them. Wished you could taste them too! Have sent you some photos of the prep, cooking & the finished product for you to post. Lots of luv, Ma xx"  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Melon Pickle recipe. I made them today & the awesome smell permeated through the whole house & reminded me so much of when Mum used to cook them. I had to substitute aubergines for melons, so have renamed it "Bessie Pearls Pickles", but apart from that I followed the recipe faithfully & they taste exactly as I remember them. Wished you could taste them too! Have sent you some photos of the prep, cooking & the finished product for you to post. Lots of luv, Ma xx

    ReplyDelete