Curried Sausages

My Grandfather, Kyran "Keeny" Brennan, driving the driver in Colombo

This is my Grandfather - everyone called him Keeny because he loved Keen's Curry Powder. He always wore hats because he was embarrassed that he was balding. He liked taking exotic trips and used to meander down hawker's lanes to find any sort of ointment or lotion that might grow his hair back. I think I would have liked him! He died before I was born, but I feel like I know him from how much my Mum has told me about him. She named me Nerissa because it means 'from the sea', and he liked the ocean so much, so I have always felt kinda close to him somehow. 

Is that why I like curries?

Curried Sausages is what I make Mum make whenever I go home for a visit. Actually, I don't even have to request it anymore - after 34 years of being my Mum, she just knows to make it. It is like I can smell it when I get into hour 25- of my 32- hour flight home. It is soooo good! It never tastes as good when I make it... Guess I need to get some Keen's sent over.

Tonight I was so excited to make it and write about it here and then forgot to take a photo in all my haste to gobble it down!!! Piggy.

Here's the recipe anyway. Photo to follow soon!
Curried Sausages (or Chops or Steak)
1 apple
1 onion
3 Tbs plain flour
3 Tbs curry powder
3 tsp salt
6 tsp sugar
3 cups stock or water (750ml)
1 lb sausages, chops, steak
3 med potatoes
2 carrots
1 banana (optional)

~ mince apple and onion
~ fry apple and onion till brown
~ add flour, curry powder, salt and sugar - stir well
~ add stock or water and stir till boiling
~ add banana if used
~ add meat (except sausages) and simmer 1 ½ to 2 hours
~ add carrots and potatoes the last 30 minutes
~ skim off fat
~ serve on a hot plate with rice

if using sausages, cook them before-hand and cook everything at once for 30 minutes.
 

2 comments:

  1. Not the banana!! Please no banana.....
    My mum puts banana in her curry and i HATE it! Love curried sausages though, and will give yours a go!
    I have an asian friend who says curries with fruit are 'whiteman's curries' That would fit right in with the era of this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Mum doesn't cook it with banana because my sister HATES it too! I always thought I liked it, but last time I cooked this, I must admit, I didn't care so much for the banana!! AND,, I also laughed at posting this recipe, thinking, "Someone is going to laugh at me loving this 'curry' that is made with fruit!". Can you send me some 'proper' curry recipes from your friend??

    ReplyDelete