Ginger Beer & Back with a bang!

Grandma, Phyllis, looking pretty in pink!



Bessie Pearl's Ledger is back!. We'll see how it goes. I have to be honest, our new 'kitchen' is a little retarded for even thinking about cooking in.  Some people might see this diminished kitchen size as going backwards in life, after all, aren't we meant to grow up, buy kitchen aides, good knives and woks? And have enough space to enjoy spending time in the kitchen?


I am not being sarcastic. I truly think for people who enjoy cooking this is an earnest & totally understandable goal.


But, for us, who both like to cook, it comes down to whether or not we want to live in New York City, or cook in it. We found a little 'Clubhouse' -as we like to call it - where we feel ok to not cook as much. So, now the city is our living room. Our kitchen. (Ok, well you can cook a little, but it is totally about making something that is enough for one meal!)...


However, amidst the setback of said small kitchen, I was determined to make something from the ledger and get back to you guys. I have missed you terribly!


Now, before we start, -  a confession. Sometimes, I am not a very patient person. To some of you, I know, that sounds quite hilarious because in all reality I am a very patient person (Yes, even at the New York Post Office... mostly!).  But the very patient person has that 'other side' too. I first noticed it in myself when I was 19 and took an airbrushing class. I just could not get the ink to flow out of the brush consistently, and it was driving me nutty. I tried a few times, and then in complete exasperation I just pushed the nozzle as hard as I could and essentially blobbed ink over my work. A big blob. That ran down the page. There was no 'airbrushig' to be seen. Nope that wasn't for me.


I tell you this story, because upon making Ginger Beer, I was in a similar mind frame. The kitchen was too small. I hardly had room to bruise the ginger, had no pot big enough to boil the required water, forgot more limes. No strainer in this apartment. Couldn't find a good recipe that really explained what I was meant to do.


So, I just thought, fuckit ('scuse the French) - I don't need more lime, to strain the ginger, to fill a whole bottle with ginger beer mix. SO I ended up with this mix that came 3/4 to the top of a bottle, was FULL of bits of ginger and looked kinda gross. I put it in the back of the cupboard for its 48 hours and promptly forgot about it. I remembered 5 days later. Hoped that my ginger beer was gonna be really spicy, you know, the kind where the ginger spice gets up your nose? Oooh, I love spicy ginger beer, - it is never spicy enough! Somehow, in my mind, because I left it longer, it just meant that it was gonna be really pickled. Spicy and alcoholic!


I pulled it out from the back of the cupboard (oh yeah, important to the story, I had just gotten outta the shower and was only towel-clad, when I get something in my mind I don't wait!) brought it over to the bench, looked apprehensively at all the sediment and started to flip the lid.


WHEN IT EXPLODED!!!!!


I mean, anyone ever tried the old mentos / diet coke trick? In a tiny apartment? With your face in the bottle?


SCARED THE FREAKIN' SHIT OUT OF ME.


And, ginger definitely went up my nose.


And on the roof, into the living room, all over every plate and cup we own, all over my face, washed hair, clean body. I probably had the neighbours wondering who got shot, it was SO loud and SO powerful and I am SO lucky that nothing worse, like glass shattering everywhere as well, happened.


Am I gonna try it again?


Hell yeah.


(With a little patience this time. Perhaps I will borrow a friends kitchen!?)


Welcome to the 2011 edition of Bessie Pearl's Ledger. !!!




Ginger Beer


2 gallons cold water
2 lbs white sugar
2 oz whole white ginger bruised
2 tsp acid
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbs yeast
white of two eggs
12 bottles

7 comments:

  1. I am on the bus to work at 6:40am trying to hold back a massive belly laugh, which would probably be less weird than me sitting here with a grin on my face giggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Reminds me of my friend Ruben (co-inhabitant of Sunny Sawtell in NSW's Mid North Coast) who had a similar thing happen to him.

    He, thankfully, was clothed. Given he had multiple bottles, he was able to film one of the explosions.

    Think about you often.

    (and "Hi Jade")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, I forgot the link - http://tregeagle.com/ginger-beer

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jade

    Better than getting ginger up your nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @cdbragg

    Very funny, but - They shook theirs!! Haha! I would've hate to have seen what would have happened if I shook this thing... Omigod!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, I loooove ginger, but don’t know how it would feel in my nose...ps: you can use my kitchen anytime

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete