Mum's Vegetable Soup

My Grandfather, Kyran "Keeny" Brennan





It got cold. All of a sudden and with a bitterness that reminds me why I don't like winter. And it's only December!! But, it has been so nice to have my Mum here, and although I have been really busy with work and rehearsals we have fit in time to go shopping and hang out.


Today we were right by Fairway, so we popped in and Mum just grabbed a whole bunch of vegies (with me all the way saying to hurry up because I hated Fairway (and I love it, too!) and everyone getting in everyone's way. It is a seriously weirdly set up store - not the general layout on a grid, but just a confusing mess of produce everywhere that always makes me dizzy! Anyway, she just picked out good looking vegies to make up a soup for dinner on this cozying day.


We have also been shopping for other things besides food. Today, nearly a week into her visit, I actually bought my first gift for someone. Hallelujah! But, I can't disclose any more, because you know, you never know who might be reading, and what I might give away. Right, sis?


So, this soup - cooked the way I learned and like to cook (just chuck everything in!) was delicious. You can put whatever you like in it, but I love  having potato and pumpkin - for me, that's a must! So, these are the vegetables we picked out, and this was so nice to enjoy this freezing evening. (We were meant to get the tree tonight, but I wussed out! Better get onto that! Now that there's something that can go under there, until I send it!)


PS. Sorry for the late post this week, I had thought I hit the 'publish' button, but I obviously didn't!


Mum's Vegie Soup


1 large onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 parsnip
1 large carrot
1/2 swede (white)
1/2 turnip
1 celeriac
1/2 butternut squash (large chunks)
2 white potatoes (skin on - large chunks)
2 red potatoes (skin on - large chunks)
1 small kumera (large cubes)
2 kohlrabi (save leaves - chop and add 15 minutes before serving)
1 dried red chilli
1 jalapeno chilli
1 Tbs worstershire sauce
2 ltr water
salt / pepper


~ Sweat onions and garlic in 2 Tbs oil, add vegies and water
~ Bring to boil and simmer for about an hour, or more


No comments:

Post a Comment