Cornies (& Babysitting)

Aunty Pam as a little girl, circa 1934

I didn't think these would be so delicious! I figured they'd be like chocolate crackles (which I also think are pretty great), but they are more like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes-as-a-treat! They are way better than what they sound like. Think Coconut Toast with butter, and you might be getting there.

I made them Tuesday afternoon whilst babysitting (playing with!) my 3-year-old friend. I go look after him every week for a few hours and it is so much fun. Kids remind me to be in the moment, and to have fun with such abandonment - I can't help but be inspired by them. And look at the inspiration today, we made some Cornies! How could anyone resist making them with a kid if you can? (nb. You are allowed to be a grown-up kid and make them for yourself too!).

It was a rainy day here in NY on Tuesday, the best kind for cooking. I really love the rain, and miss having my birthday in the middle of winter in Australia where it unfailingly rained the last year away every time. Rain makes me feel a real sense of calm, so does the beach - or the river (I just moved very close to the Hudson River, which is lovely). When I got home I snuggled up with my cat and book - which I am nearing the end of, after slopping my Converse from Brooklyn to Harlem. What a nice day!

Thanks, little friend, for helping me make and eat these treats. 

Cornies 

1/4 lb butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
~ creamed
1 egg beaten
1 cup coconut
4 cups Corn Flakes

~ Put in patties (paper)
~ Bake until golden brown 10 - 15 minutes (I can't tell you what temperature I had the oven, because I was at my friend's place and the knob was off...!)



2 comments:

  1. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism. พี่เลี้ยง

    ReplyDelete